Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” —Groucho Marx

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Started Early Took My Dog, by Kate Atkinson

I began my reading in early May 2012 and finished the book on August 16,2012.   I began by reading a few pages each night at bed time....that was my first mistake.  I know my rating of this book will not do it justice between 2-3 winks.  But I really had a hard time following the story from start to finish.

First my expectations were shattered.   There were no chapter divisions...however there were dates, but I gave no credence to the dates...I'm sure I should have.    I read three fourths of the book, not understanding why there were so many varied characters all having a POV, and how they interconnected.   Probably the first 3/4ths of the book was back history of all the characters...ok but somewhat boring.   Without chapters and titles to indicate whose point of view was whose....scary business for this old woman's head to wrap around. 

When I got to the last 100 pages, I was finally interested in the story and the outcome.   It was at this point the author started to resolve the many mysteries within the pages and things started to make some sense.   I am sure there is an audience for Ms Atkinson's writing, but I am apparently not it.   I will someday re-read this book and try to come at it with a fresh mindset and then, my Peeps, you will get to see a different review and assessment, but until such time as I do that I give this book a 2-3 wink rating.    Not my style I guess.

   Now I'm off to read another questionable read,  Same Kind of Different as Me.   Hope I like it better!



No comments: