Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” —Groucho Marx

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Books VS Movies



I have come to a life altering decision. I am not going to watch any more movies. Yep, I’m giving up the leisurely sit in a comfy movie seat and my giant bucket of buttered popcorn…OMG, what am I saying?.....No, it’s true…no more movies for me!!

I was so excited when I found out that Janet Evanovich’s One For the Money was going to be a movie; I just couldn’t contain myself! I thought January 27, 2012 would never arrive! And then it did. And I went to the movie theatre, and I had my popcorn and a bottle of water. And the movie was cute. I didn’t like who they cast for Ranger and now his image will haunt my future Stephanie Plum readings. I loved Jason O’Mara as Joe Morelli, except he didn’t really strike me as an Italian cop…still what a hunk! Sherri Shepherd was excellent as Lula and Katherine Heigl was an acceptable Stephanie.

I could even buy into Debbie Reynolds as Grandma Mazur. If you read the book first though, the movie was sporadic bits and pieces from the book, but so much was cut out.

I know they have to do that in the interest of keeping the movie from being 5 days long, but really? For the full scoop, READ THE BOOK! And if you want your imagination to furnish the mental pictures of the characters, READ THE BOOK.

I had recently completed the Harry Potter series books 1-7 and was ecstatic to have completed them except for the fact there were no more to come. Over the years I think I had watched most of the movies with the grand kids. Of course at the time, I hadn’t read any of the books, so the movies were entertaining on their own merit. But I thought I wanted to watch the Deadly Hallows parts 1 & 2. Again after reading the books which were indeed captivating, I found so much deleted from the movies, I could not consider them entertaining in the slightest. Again, I encourage you to READ THE BOOKS. The words placed on paper when combined with your mind’s eye will provide the most entertaining bang for the buck! Trust me.

So I am convinced to READ THE BOOK and maybe see the movie…..if I’m missing my tub of buttered popcorn….I’ll have to be desperate, or out of my mind, or in good company…..

No comments: