Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” —Groucho Marx

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult


What a gripping novel!! I had seen the movie many years ago and finally decided I wanted to read the book. I knew ahead of time that the book would be a tear jerker; I did not know that the movie ending was not the same as the book ending.

The story is about one of the most dysfunctional families on the planet. They started out good until the second child was diagnosed with a rare and probably terminal disease. At that point the parents seek out geneticists to assist them in producing the perfect genetic match to her for their third child, Anna. She became the planned savior for Kate and her medical needs. In the meantime, the oldest boy becomes as invisible as the youngest to the parents consumed with the dying middle child. And then the youngest says No to giving her sister a kidney.

I loved the way Ms Picoult wrote her book, each chapter dedicated to a family member or the attorneys representing the youngest daughter, Anna. I really felt like I knew these characters and was just as sucked in to their trials and tribulations as they were. I really felt their pain and insecurity, their frustrations and the heart breaking decisions each family member had to make. This Book made me truly feel! And I found myself pondering how I would have responded given the same circumstances.

There were definitely no easy answers! And it definitely provoked a million tears to fall!

Excellent Writing! Highly recommended and totally thought provoking.

No comments: