Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” —Groucho Marx

Friday, March 2, 2012

Zarafa by Michael Allin

This is a true story of the first giraffe brought into France in the early 1800s. The background history was a bit boring, but as you got into Zarafa’s story and the journey she endured, I found myself falling in love with her, just as the people she met in her travels. She was captured as a baby; her mother killed. She was a gentle giant and although she did not enjoy being petted, she was amiable throughout her journey and flourished. She set off quite the mania for the giraffe in France. When she died in 1845, she was stuffed and is still on display in a museum in La Rochelle. I love animals, especially those beautiful eyes of the giraffe, I found the book charming, but expect a lot of history if you choose to read it.

Now.. This week I have added the following books to my To Be Read (TBR)list:

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge

The Wisdom of Donkeys by Andy Merrifield

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

Happy Weekend Reading Friends!

No comments: