Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” —Groucho Marx

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Keeper of the Light by Diane Chamberlain...a Review


Wow….what a novel this was!!!!!   I could not put it down and stayed up way past my bedtime…Lol.   This was possibly the best book I have read in awhile.   Or at the very least was right up my alley.   Mz Chamberlain’s writing is new to me, but she will be ranked among my favorite authors.   Her writing was captivating, her storyline well developed and implemented and her characters as real as they could be.   Each had their redeeming qualities and each their weaknesses as well. The novel exposes human frailty and the repercussions our choices have upon not only ourselves but those that we love and those that love us.  We  meet Annie O'Neill the night she dies, as she was brought into the ER, a victim of a gunshot wound.  Her treating physician is Dr. Olivia Simon, the woman whose marriage crumbles with the passing of Annie O'Neill.   Olivia will go on to seek whatever she can find…what did Annie have that Olivia could not offer her husband?   Paul Macelli, Olivia’s husband, will abandon his marriage to grieve in anonymity and build his shrine to Annie.    Dr Alec O’Neill will mourn the death of his wife and his marriage only to find he knew very little about her in reality, and Mary Poor, the Keeper of the Light turns out to also be the Keeper of Annie’s deep and dark secrets.   She is the only one who can save these three people from Annie’s misplaced influence on their futures.  There are many twists and turns in reaching the ultimate revelations and as a reader one can empathize with each character and their reactions to the truth.  But the greatest sorrow is in Annie’s truth and how she suffered through it.  An Excellent read!!

2 comments:

DMS said...

You have made me want to read this one! I have read only one other book by this author and I LOVED it. It was called The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes. I have been wanting to pick up another book by this author and based on your review I better get reading! Thanks for sharing.

I am a new follower. I found you through Book Blogs.
~Jess
http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Glad to help out Jess! I'll soon be reading the one you have already read. She is a tremendous author!